Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Nuclear fusion as social commentary

Good morning, starshine - the Earth says hello
You twinkle above us, we twinkle below...
If you don't know the song, well, you might as well go check it out. It's a bit weird. But I used to hear it all the time on the oldies station I listened to as a kid, and this morning on my daily jog it was stuck in my head (perhaps it's the nice weather). So I started to hum as I was running, and then stopped - are we really twinkling? With the presidential election looming, we haven't exactly been the sunniest of people lately.

But what is "starshine," anyway? Nuclear fusion is a violent and energetic process, by which billions upon billions of particles collide with one another constantly until a precious few are able to fuse, producing a new element and releasing energy to power the Sun.

And isn't that what we are, too?

Humans are particles, too, each of us with our own energies, colliding randomly with others, usually to no effect. But just often enough, we collide with another human particle and find we share a resonance - something that allows our combined efforts to exceed the sum of its parts - and we produce something great, something new, something that empowers. So human interaction does mimic nuclear fusion to a fair extent; the Sun twinkles in its way, as we twinkle in ours.

Good morning, starshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think carefully before you post. I reserve the right to moderate any comments posted to my blog.