Friday, March 28, 2008

Lukas, Lucas & Wolfgang

Before proceeding any farther, I must (if I am to be a considerate nuclear physicist) point out that today is the 29th anniversary of the incident at Three Mile Island (I recommend the reader check out the story and accompanying slideshow from NPR). I will use the opportunity to put in my two cents: nuclear energy is inherently safe, efficient, clean and (let's not forget) awesome.
The boys and I had dinner at DGB last night, then took in the KSO concert over at the Tennessee. The Salomon Rossi Suite was remarkably short (under 10 minutes), but clever; a timpani and harp duet in the third movement really struck me as rather ingenious. The concerto, composed by our own Lucas Richman, was predictable at times, but there were several moments, the "birth" and the final dance among them, wherein I felt that familiar swelling of simultaneous joy and despair, mirth and discontentment. In layman's terms, I was moved. The oboist, Cynthia DeAlmeida, was phenomenal, her tone and virtuosity carrying the Richman piece far above the rest of the concert. I will paraphrase the comments the boys and I shared throughout the rest of the concert: programmatically speaking, it felt intensely odd to lump two contemporary pieces with an old classic, not to mention closing with the Mozart (and what an overplayed symphony it is, the Jupiter) instead of the soloist piece. We had forgotten just how boring the third movement of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 is. We likened him to Charles Dickens. We laughed about how it felt like one of NPR's random 9am collections of classical pieces, as opposed to a connected concert.
All in all, however, the concert was (if nothing else) pleasant, and the evening out with the boys the highlight of my day. And our fine professor will be happy to hear that, when he attends this evening, the Jupiter Symphony is not played too slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think carefully before you post. I reserve the right to moderate any comments posted to my blog.