Monday, February 11, 2008

La Forza del Destino

It somehow seems appropriate that the force of destiny should be feminine; English is one of the odd languages in which nouns are implicitly gender-neutral, something that I find amusing given the current atmosphere of uber-political-correctness (I'd argue, in my own politically correct way, that "correctness" should also be a feminine noun). Unfortunately, Verdi's opera was trite and his characters pallid and sadly underdeveloped. Overall, I suppose the time would have been better spent napping. I will say, however, that the soprano Leonora (Carter Scott) had a gorgeous voice, one which resonated in the very core of your being and left you with chills as she cried out, "God, have mercy on me!"
The weekend is over now, and my mind must make the shift from opera to physics, as now I find before me a mound of data awaiting a scientific analysis. I came in this morning, sat down at my desk, and wondered aloud what on earth to do next. My brain is still so fried from the weeks of insomnia and experimental hocus-pocus that I'm finding it difficult to recall the next order of business, but given a few days to reestablish the correct order of the universe (or my small portion of it, at least), I'll make some progress.

1 comment:

  1. You neglect to mention the astonishingly insipid duels and melee, in which all sword-weilding actors appeared to resemble more closely their sedentary cousins, the landscape gardners, than their warrior counterparts. Their blades were grasped as if they were garden hoses, and their movements were accompanied by silent cries of "Stay still, and I will whip you with my sword, I will! Whip, whip, whip you!" Or at least that's how it was in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Think carefully before you post. I reserve the right to moderate any comments posted to my blog.